Frank McCusker Young Leader Award, in memory of Frank McCusker
The Ski Club has created an award in memory of former Chief Executive, Frank McCusker, who was passionate about bringing younger people into snowsports.
To apply for the Frank McCusker Young Leaders Award you need to be an (on and off piste) between the ages of 18 and 25, and show that you have enthusiasm and commitment to helping the snow sports community.
What is a Ski Club Leader?
Ski Club Leaders are volunteers who lead groups of Ski Club members in 18 resorts across Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Andorra, USA and Canada. The Leader service has been a cornerstone of Ski Club membership for many years, and is a major reason why many of our members join the Club and stay with us year after year.
A Ski Club Leader will typically be stationed in a resort for 2 weeks during the season, and runs a programme of social skiing and snowboarding that includes on and off piste days. Our Leaders also host a social hour each evening, and provide daily snow reports for the Ski Club’s website.
You can read more about the Leader service here.
What is the Leaders Course?
Anyone wanting to become a Ski Club Leader must take and pass the Ski Club Leaders’ Course, a tailored, 12-day long training programme in a major alpine resort, run by experienced mountain guides, instructors and Ski Club staff.
- On-snow leading – groups of all standards
- Technique – on and off-piste
- Ski standards – familiarisation with Ski Club profiles
- Snowcraft – understanding and recognising different and changing snow structures
- Safety – understanding transceivers and avalanche safety procedures
- Promoting the Ski Club and resort PR
- Administration procedures – daily and weekly tasks
The successful applicant will also be expected to create content (with the support of the Ski Club's editorial team) describing their experience, for Ski+board magazine and the Ski Club's social media channels.
- Applicants must be aged 18-25 on 1 December 2018.
- Provisional Course dates are 1-14th December 2018 and the candidates must be available for these dates.
- Applicants must be able to Ski, Telemark or Snow board to an expert or advanced level.
- Guaranteed Ski Club leader slot is provisional on passing the leader course and will be between January and March 2019.
- 1st and 2nd Interviews will be between September and October 2018.
- Further information may be requested from successful applicants.
- The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the Club ethos, helping members, writing blogs, writing an article in Ski+board on becoming a leader and social media on the course.
- There is no cash alternative to the course.
- Automated or third party entries will not be considered.
- The Ski Club's decision on the successful candidate is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Included on the course for the successful applicant:
- Return flights from London.
- Return transfers.
- Standard individual membership of the Ski Club of Great Britain for one year.
- Half Board accommodation on a twin share basis.
- Leaders’ Uniform (blue Ski Club Jacket).
- Lift Pass for the duration of the course.
- Performance clinic – three half days skiing/ snowboarding technique instruction by BASI instructors.
- Further eight days training by mountain guides and BASI instructors.
Not included on the course:
- Personal travel insurance.
- Two- Day BASP First Aid Course in the UK (before departure).